FinderPop Works on El Capitan

FinderPop Bugs? Problems? This is the place to go!

Re: FinderPop Works on El Capitan

Postby Topo » 30 Sep 2015, 23:47

This is terrible news. Meaning, FP does NOT work on El Capitan. If I go to System Prefs, they lock up with the dialogue box that says FP is not compatible. There's an "OK" check box, but it will not work. Have o force quit Prefs. Is there a chance FP can be made to work again? I depend on it.

Postby RonaldPR » 01 Oct 2015, 09:21

See discussion above in this topic. If there will be a future version of FP that will work in OSX 10.11 (El Capitan), it will only work with SIP (System Integrity Protection) disabled. Disabling SIP is not something an average user should do.

For extensive description of SIP in El Capitan, see:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/os ... view/8/#h1
RonaldPR

Postby Jay Prospero » 01 Oct 2015, 15:27

I disabled SIP and reinstalled 2.5.7 to get it working again. I can live without SIP, I can't live without FinderPop and Default Folder X.

Jay Prospero

Postby prof49 » 02 Oct 2015, 15:53

Is there any hope of resuscitating Finderpop under El Capitan without doing whatever is lost when SIP is disabled?
prof49

Postby turly » 02 Oct 2015, 20:25

Is there any hope of resuscitating Finderpop under El Capitan without doing whatever is lost when SIP is disabled?

Wow, I found your question a bit difficult to parse for some reason. Must be the beer I had :-)

Anyway: short answer - No. FinderPop relies waay too much on patching stuff inside the Finder to get a 'seamless' operation.
Longer answer: A very very slight "Maybe". Maybe Apple will add a whitelisting mechanism, but I seriously doubt this.
turly
Site Admin

Postby fredp151 » 03 Oct 2015, 05:35

Were you actually able to get the current version (2.5.7)? I tried, initially, with SIP disabled, but failed.

I then did a clean install of El Capitan, and was able to install an earlier version (2.5.6), also with SIP disabled.

That worked... but I think it had some trouble with the new type alias' introduced in Yosemite. It did work when I substituted symlinks for alias'.
fredp151

Postby beat » 14 Oct 2015, 15:47

Strange behavior.
While it's true that FP does not work in EC's Finder, on my machine FP 2.5.6 works as soon as any app is open – Firefox, Word, anything.
beat

Postby RonaldPR » 14 Oct 2015, 19:09

Maybe not so strange. FP will not work in applications, like the Finder, that are protected by SIP. Code injection in those running processes is prevented. But in other (third party) applications it may still work.
RonaldPR

Postby turly » 19 Oct 2015, 15:59

What Ronald said. It's only Apple apps that are protected by SIP - for now, anyway, I've heard rumours that Apple may extend this protection to third-party apps.

And the 2.5.7 that "works" (with caveats) on El Capitan is here. I still have some work to do before 2.5.8 - which, to emphasise again, will require that SIP be disabled.
turly
Site Admin

Postby prof49 » 30 Oct 2015, 15:55

Before El Capitan, I used FinderPop + XtraFinder: http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/. Like FinderPop, XtraFinder is blocked by SIP. Hunting for a solution, I discovered this recommendation at https://www.reddit.com/r/OSXTweaks/comm ... ve/cvuxvtq

1. Disable SIP
2. Install XtraFinder
3. Move /Library/ScriptingAdditions/XtraFinder.osax to /System/Library/ScriptingAdditions/XtraFinder.osax
4. Open terminal and run sudo ln -s /System/Library/ScriptingAdditions/XtraFinder.osax /Library/ScriptingAdditions/
5. Enable SIP
Pretty sure the order of steps 1 and 2 doesn't matter

Success appears to vary; see https://www.facebook.com/XtraFinder/

As someone not technically savvy, I wonder whether the recommended solution for XtraFinder is dangerous; if not, might it help revive FinderPop under El Capitan? Sorry if his merely displays my naivete.
prof49

PreviousNext

Return to FinderPop Support Forum