Can´t invoke on 10.6.3

FinderPop Bugs? Problems? This is the place to go!

Re: Can´t invoke on 10.6.3

Postby turly » 02 Jan 2011, 09:10

@bb3: intriguing!

One of my tests before releasing FP is to play with FP inside a folder with 2500 text files, and I've never noticed anything awry. Selecting one or more of the files is instantaneous, mind you I don't think I've tried resizing the folder's window since I first set it up a few years ago. I'll give that a lash next time I'm at my Mac, but I doubt that resizing would cause a slowdown where scrolling and selecting random files wouldn't.

If you're comfortable with terminal commands (and have your su password), this might be instructive.
Like I said, I'm not at my Mac until I get back to Barcelona on 13 Jan, but I remember the fs_usage command being very handy to see which processes are doing disk I/O... if you get a chance, could you play with fs_usage -w -f filesys and maybe iotop -C 1 15 just before doing a resize of your window-with-442-files? You can mail me the output at turly@finderpop.com or post it here if you wish...
turly
Site Admin

Postby Cowicide » 07 Aug 2011, 22:12

System6 wrote:I'm not intending to "flame" this thread - really! - it's just I love FinderPop - BUT ... (*drum roll*) ... I now find it's slowing the Finder up big time.... I was selecting apps in the Applications folder, to make aliases from them, to put in the FP items folder, and I noticed that it was taking ages to make the aliases, in fact, ages to just select the items in the Finder... suspecting FP, I turned it off, and, oh dear, yes, the speed lag disappeared. Ohw dear...

I can confirm this issue with 10.6.7 as well (and with older OS versions). I've been dealing with this for a very long time and trying to troubleshoot this for ages. I finally stumbled upon this thread as it was pointed to from another thread on this issue.

My Applications folder has been slow as molasses on multiple computers for a long time. I finally just now turned off Finderpop and wham... Applications folder speed is back to normal. Ugh... I wish I'd known this a long, long time ago... wasted so much time troubleshooting. I'm just thankful I finally found the culprit.

This has been happening with multiple versions of Finderpop going back at least a year I think, but it's happening with the current version too.

Is there a workaround for this or is the only solution uninstalling Finderpop (which I really don't want to do)?
Cowicide

Postby turly » 08 Aug 2011, 08:45

@Cowicide: Is control-free popup on in FinderPop? What other third-party prefPanes are installed? Have you enabled any extra services in the services menu?
Can you figure out exactly what is slow? Clicking from one app icon to another? Resizing the window? Both? Other Finder operations?
If you're comfortable with terminal commands, can you look at the message above your one?
Basically in a terminal window, run

sudo fs_usage -w -f filesys

and then switch to the Finder and try to perform the tasks that FinderPop slows down (window resizing, icon selection, whatever.)
Then mail me the results - turly@finderpop.com.

Sorry for all the questions, I'd love to know what's happening here, too. I now have a test folder with 666 apps (most of them duplicates admittedly) and have not noticed any issues at all, but for a small number of people FP is doing something bad to the Finder...
turly
Site Admin

Postby turly » 08 Aug 2011, 14:09

I got an email from another person who said that this Application folder slowdown may be a conflict between FinderPop and SmartScroll... does anyone else with this problem run SmartScroll?
turly
Site Admin

Postby Cowicide » 17 Aug 2011, 07:19

turly wrote:I got an email from another person who said that this Application folder slowdown may be a conflict between FinderPop and SmartScroll... does anyone else with this problem run SmartScroll?

turly, I had the issue and I was running SmartScroll as well. All I've done is remove FinderPop and I'm still running SmartScroll now and the issue is gone so I don't know if it was a conflict or not, but hopefully the fact that I was running both might be helpful info for you.
Cowicide

Postby turly » 17 Aug 2011, 10:09

@Cowicide - Cheers for the info, another data point. I'll download SmartScroll and see what's up when I get back to my Mac next month ("enjoying" the rather damp weather in Ireland at the moment.)
turly
Site Admin

Postby Cowicide » 24 Aug 2011, 22:06

I forgot to mention that one time after installing Adobe CS 5.5 the issue went away temporarily. So whatever the Adobe installer did to the Applications folder, etc. seemed to resolve the issue, but it came back later I guess after a restart or something. It was a long while ago, but I remember being happy the issue was gone after the install, then dismayed when it came back again.

Can you figure out exactly what is slow? Clicking from one app icon to another? Resizing the window? Both? Other Finder operations?

The issue I was having was clicking one app icon to another was very sluggish. Painfully sluggish and this is with the fastest Macbook Pro Apple currently sells. I don't remember if the window resizing was slow for sure, but I don't think so. It did, however, take a long time for the window to close and would beachball. I'm pretty sure it was a bit slower to open as well. Once I turned off Finderpop it was all fast/normal again. There are about 450 icons/folders in there.
Cowicide

Postby System6 » 06 Dec 2011, 21:04

I thought you might be interested in this. I bought a new iMac - a 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, with 12GB RAM and 2GB Video RAM. Installed FinderPop. Everything seemed to be OK, until I started adding more things to the "FinderPop Items Folder".

The machine's quite fast, but I noticed a slowdown. Then I realised that the same thing was happening as before - the machine was slowing down considerably when I simply selected application icons in the applications folder. Since the machine is a lot faster than my old one, it took me longer to realise that this was happening.

Furthermore, after I had added a few things to the "FinderPop Items Folder" for some intuitive reason I took a look at the Activity Monitor app. I was somewhat stunned to see that my 12GB memory had shrunk to a mere 100MB of free. Only a few other apps were open.

With great reluctance I deleted FinderPop, and the apps folder now doesn't slow anything down, and my RAM isn't disappearing.

There's a bug in there somewhere, Turly, or I'll eat my hoojamaflip.
System6

Postby Cowicide » 07 Dec 2011, 01:00

System6 wrote:the machine was slowing down considerably when I simply selected application icons in the applications folder ...With great reluctance I deleted FinderPop, and the apps folder now doesn't slow anything down, and my RAM isn't disappearing.

I had the same problem but now it's gone. I don't know why really except maybe updates to FinderPop or my system which is now up to 10.6.8.

Which OS version are you running and which FinderPop version?
Cowicide

Postby turly » 07 Dec 2011, 09:25

@System6: Did you by any chance see what process was eating all that memory? Or did you run those fs_usage commands referred to earlier in the thread? And could you email me (turly@finderpop.com) a System Profile report for your system?
It's definitely some kind of interaction between FP and some things (Smart Scroll? Certain Services enabled on your machine?) that you have installed (and that few other people do, otherwise we'd be hearing about this much more often.)
My attempt to reproduce problems with SmartScroll was unsuccessful, I noticed no issues with my 666-application folder (or anything else.)
turly
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FinderPop Support Forum