FinderPop 2.3.9.3 BETA

Availability announcements of the latest betas, etc.

Re: FinderPop 2.3.9.3 BETA

Postby osplo » 13 Sep 2011, 22:18

Welcome back Turly!

I hope I will not spoil the party here, but I got a new Mini with Lion yesterday and I have a funny behavior with this beta.

I have several items in FinderPop Items folder but instead of showing me the actual items, I got a sole link to the FinderPop items folder. Strange as these same items worked pretty well in my previous Mini (and got transferred through Time Machine).

I uninstalled and installed the Beta... any clues?

Thank you Sir!
osplo

Postby turly » 14 Sep 2011, 07:50

Have you turned off inlining FP items so you only get a 'FinderPop' menu item with the items hanging off it?

Or are you talking about the FinderPop Items folder itself?
Check exactly where is your FinderPop Items folder? (Go to System Prefs -> FinderPop -> Items tab -> Click on "Show FinderPop Items folder" button.)
Is it what you expect? Are the aliases that you added (and which were restored using Time Machine) still valid?
turly
Site Admin

Postby osplo » 14 Sep 2011, 09:15

turly wrote:Have you turned off inlining FP items so you only get a 'FinderPop' menu item with the items hanging off it?

Or are you talking about the FinderPop Items folder itself?
Check exactly where is your FinderPop Items folder? (Go to System Prefs -> FinderPop -> Items tab -> Click on "Show FinderPop Items folder" button.)
Is it what you expect? Are the aliases that you added (and which were restored using Time Machine) still valid?

Turly, it is amazing, you are always much more responsive than professional support from big name companies!

The problem was that all the contextual menu showed (when rightclicking on the desktop or empty menu bar) was "Finder Pop Items" and it wasn't even navigable, id est, no items hanging off it either. Very strange. The rest of the context menu on the desktop was OK (New Folder, Get Info, etc.) and the aliases on the FinderPop items were all valid (they still are, nothing have changed), with the sole exception of an alias pointing to a disconnected AirPort Extreme disk. The FinderPop folder is on my Library/FinderPop Items.

All of a sudden, without a reboot in the middle, it started to work again.

I am blaming Lion for it is doing VERY strange things to me: icons from the menu bar disappear for no reason (Dropbox, Alfred, etc are not shown even after reinstalling latest versions, other icons such as iStat Menu icons appear perfectly well). It is driving me crazy. I also have problems trying to make Lion recognize a VGA TV as monitor, it prefers HDMI (the posh bastard) for the same TV (but randomly, it works!).

I don't know. I suppose it has nothing to do with FinderPop. False alarm, I guess.

Let's the party begin!

All the best, and kudos, Turly, again!
osplo

Postby turly » 14 Sep 2011, 14:01

Perhaps some other prefPanes or whatever that you might have restored via Time Machine are messing things up? Do you have other extensions installed that might not be compatible with Lion? Maybe iStats and FP are treading on each others' toes?
turly
Site Admin

Postby Russell » 18 Sep 2011, 16:06

I had the same problem. Out of the blue FinderPop displayed the FinderPop items folder icon instead of its contents in the pop up menu. My system had been running well. The only system changes I can think of were that I applied an Intego Virus barrier X6 update and had recently run Drive Genius 3.1.2 and Disk Warrior 4.1, as I do periodically. I was able to regain full function by copying the FinderPop Items folder to my desktop, copying the items within, then pasting them into the original FinderPop item folder. No problems since. Could this have been a corrupted file location issue due to use of third party file maintenance apps? Have mercy forum, I'm no computer genius.

Also wanted to add that it seems this issue cropped up with more than one user around the same timeframe. That is to say I had been using this beta version since it came out with no problems up to that point and that the issue appeared for a few at the same time.
Russell

Postby osplo » 28 Sep 2011, 23:43

Turly, Russell, I figured out the problem.

As I mentioned I have an Airport Extreme disk and one of the folders on my FinderPop items is a folder residing in that disk.

If the disk has not been connected, FinderPop works as described earlier (showing just a link to the FinderPop Items folder). If the disk has been connected at least once, FinderPop works as expected.

I never noticed this behavior before installing Lion so I hope this could be fixable... Turly?

Thanks!
osplo

Postby turly » 29 Sep 2011, 21:25

Yeah, that's been an issue with FP from day one.
When I create a menu representing the contents of a folder, I iterate over every item in the folder and build the menu. The menu is then cached because rebuilding the menu can take a long time (relatively speaking.)
When I come across an alias during my iteration, I try to resolve it. If I can resolve it, great, everything works.
If I can't resolve it, I just add the item to the menu with no other information (no submenu for example.)

One easy way I could fix this would be to not cache any menus which had unresolvable aliases in them. However this would hurt if you had an unresolvable alias...
I will see about adding a 'defaults write com.finderpop.finderpop dontCacheMenusWithUnresolvedAliases -bool TRUE|FALSE' setting...

Meantime, a quick and dirty solution is to turn FP off and on again as that flushes all FP caches (menus, icons etc.)

Edit: I've re-read your bug description and it doesn't sound like my take on it is correct.
You are saying that you have an unresolvable alias inside your FinderPop Items folder and that stops the entire FinderPop menu from being displayed... I'll have a closer look at the code this weekend... I am probably doing something boneheaded...
turly
Site Admin

Postby osplo » 30 Sep 2011, 01:50

turly wrote:

Edit: I've re-read your bug description and it doesn't sound like my take on it is correct.
You are saying that you have an unresolvable alias inside your FinderPop Items folder and that stops the entire FinderPop menu from being displayed... I'll have a closer look at the code this weekend... I am probably doing something boneheaded...

Exactly. What I can (almost, but 99% sure) assure is that this DID NOT happen before, either because I was on Snow Leopard or either because I was using a previous FP version. The other items appeared even if the disk was disconnected.

Abraçada!
osplo

Postby osplo » 09 Oct 2011, 10:08

Turly, did you have any time to look at this? I offer my help for testing or whatever. Beers are waiting :-)
osplo

Postby RonaldPR » 09 Oct 2011, 11:15

Should be solved in FinderPop 2.4.1.
RonaldPR

PreviousNext

Return to Version Announcements