FinderPop 2.5.7

Availability announcements of the latest betas, etc.

Re: FinderPop 2.5.7

Postby Larsen2k4 » 10 Jul 2015, 09:59

Hi there,

I've upgraded to the Public Beta of El Cap a few hours ago - the might-work-FinderPop-version worked after the first boot, but doesn't want to run anymore after this first success. Any help/update is appreciated :D
Larsen2k4

Postby turly » 10 Jul 2015, 12:32

Can you be a bit more specific? When you open the FinderPop prefpane, does everything look normal - nothing greyed out, no messages?

Was your install of the El Capitan public beta a clean install or an upgrade? What were you running before?

I would recommend this:

Uninstall FinderPop by following the instructions on the FP prefpane's "Etc." tab's "Uninstall FinderPop" button.
Your FinderPop Items folder will be left untouched if you do this.

Then re-install the "might-work on El Capitan" FinderPop -- for ALL users, remember!

I haven't gotten around to installing the public beta of El Capitan yet, after getting my fingers burned when I installed the 10.9 beta a while back. I'm waiting for at least public beta #2 this time :-)
turly
Site Admin

Postby fox » 10 Jul 2015, 13:14

I just tried the uninstall/reinstall (using "might work" version. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. I am using Beta 3 (same as the public beta).
fox

Postby turly » 10 Jul 2015, 13:23

Hmm, is it just that FP is not running or that my patching no longer works?
How are you on Terminal?

Fire up a Terminal session and run this:

killall finderpop-daemon
/Library/PreferencePanes/FinderPop.prefPane/Contents/Resources/finderpop-daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/finderpop-daemon

and either paste here or email me (turly@finderpop.com) the output.
Thanks!
turly
Site Admin

Postby Larsen2k4 » 10 Jul 2015, 17:19

turly wrote:Can you be a bit more specific? When you open the FinderPop prefpane, does everything look normal - nothing greyed out, no messages?

Was your install of the El Capitan public beta a clean install or an upgrade? What were you running before?

Of course I can (Sorry :oops: :D ) - PrefPane reacts normally, finderpop-daemon kicks in as usual, but there's nothing to see in the context menu anymore.

I have directly upgraded from 10.10.4 (FinderPop working great before). Before upgrading, I've switched to the might-work-version :)

Terminal output:
Code: Select all
================================================================================

================================================================================
FinderPop-beta-x86_64-25702: Patching 'Finder' 0:c00c (Immed-e)

(Still nothing in the contextual menus)

On second thought I'm afraid this might have something to do with the new rootless system (system integrity protection) of the OS - afaik this should keep tools from hooking into system processes alongside securing the System folder (I've read that somewhere...). At least that's why the guys from TotalFinder, XtraFinder etc. are having a tough time now with 10.11 :|
Larsen2k4

Postby turly » 10 Jul 2015, 18:37

Just reading up on rootless now. I think this could be... challenging.

http://www.quora.com/Can-someone-elabor ... d-Rootless

The Rootless feature makes certain operations only permissible for Apple code (as determined by code signature), so that 3rd party code, even if it’s running under the root account, can’t do certain things. In my tests I noted several changes:
1. Anything under /System (and several other folders) can no longer be modified by anyone other than Apple components (such as various installer and updater components)
2.Certain APIs such as the good old task_for_pid are no longer supported if they’re called on system processes. This means that programs that “inject” themselves into system processes such as the Finder, Messages, or the kernel will no longer work.

Hmm.

By way of a workaround, can System Integrity be disabled?
turly
Site Admin

Postby Larsen2k4 » 10 Jul 2015, 18:53

turly wrote:By way of a workaround, can System Integrity be disabled?

Yup -
Code: Select all
sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"

or booting into Recovery Mode and disabling it from the menu bar (new option - at least now in the developer versions...)

//Edit:

I've just disabled it: It works now, but kills the contextual menu options...
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-10 um 20.24.08.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-10 um 20.24.08.png (32.98 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-10 um 20.24.03.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-10 um 20.24.03.png (48.7 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
Larsen2k4

Postby turly » 10 Jul 2015, 20:48

Well, that's a bit of a bugger. I'll have to get the finger out and install it... but I'm up the walls with real work atm.

Reading more about rootless, Apple may well remove that NVRAM hack which would be bad news I think, though someone on tweakbsd.org reckons a kext might be able to work around it, but that's just playing whack-a-mole .
turly
Site Admin

Postby Larsen2k4 » 11 Jul 2015, 05:13

Yup, I guess this will be a dead end for many tools and helpers, since there is no guarantee that these switches will still exist in final releases or future versions of OS X. The dev from TotalFinder also made a good point that on the other hand it's no good way to tell all novice users to disable their protection just for the little helper.
Larsen2k4

Postby balrog » 25 Jul 2015, 19:27

turly wrote:Well, that's a bit of a bugger. I'll have to get the finger out and install it... but I'm up the walls with real work atm.

Reading more about rootless, Apple may well remove that NVRAM hack which would be bad news I think, though someone on tweakbsd.org reckons a kext might be able to work around it, but that's just playing whack-a-mole .

Based on WWDC videos and other information, Apple will remove the NVRAM hack before final release, but it will still be possible to disable Rootless from Recovery mode for the foreseeable future.
balrog

PreviousNext

Return to Version Announcements