FinderPop 2.2.4b7 BETA | Thrillseekers | Snow Leopard *ONLY*

Availability announcements of the latest betas, etc.

Re: FinderPop 2.2.4b7 BETA | Thrillseekers | Snow Leopard *ONLY*

Postby ernstMreicher » 26 Jan 2010, 10:37

oups....
installed directly from zipFile within BetterZip!!!
Obviously coudn´t install correctly.
Retried from unzipped folder and it works now....
sorry for disturbing the forum......
Regards,
        Ernst
ernstMreicher

Postby turly » 26 Jan 2010, 19:03

petersphilo wrote:it could very well be my System that is screwy..

Hmm, that's a bit unlikely. But what happens if you have an alias to BBEdit in your FinderPop Items folder?
Does control-clicking an item and choosing BBEdit from the "top-level" FinderPop menu work OK?
I.e., is it ONLY when you select something from the Processes menu that you run into problems?
turly
Site Admin

Postby petersphilo » 28 Jan 2010, 14:00

Hello again,

It is, indeed, super-weird: I have 2 aliases in my FP items folder; one of my home folder, and one of the root of the hd, and they also produce the same behavior: the application selected comes to the fore, but does not open the document.
In fact, if i enable the FP option to remember the last 2 items, and i use one of those, or if i place an alias of BBedit, TextEdit, Pages, or anything else, they all behave the same exact way.

So, in short, the only place that will launch the desired app along with the selected document is the "Open With..." sub-menu.

The only 'haxie' i have on my system is GeekTool, but even if i remove it and restart, this behavior does not change.

Thank you for everything Turly!
Be Well,
Peter
petersphilo

Postby RonaldPR » 28 Jan 2010, 14:49

When you drag and drop a document icon onto the application icon in the Dock, will the application launch and open the document?
RonaldPR

Postby turly » 28 Jan 2010, 16:49

Hmm. It could simply be that FinderPop is not seeing the item you're control-clicking.
When you control-click an item, FP normally adds it to the FinderPop menu - generally at the bottom, and in bold.
Are you seeing this? If so, that would explain things.
Are you on an old (32-bit) Mac, by any chance?
turly
Site Admin

Postby petersphilo » 01 Feb 2010, 04:07

turly wrote:Hmm. It could simply be that FinderPop is not seeing the item you're control-clicking.
{...}
Are you on an old (32-bit) Mac, by any chance?

I do believe that is the case; FP does not 'see' the item i'm clicking, even though the standard Finder's 'Open With...' part of the contextual menu does function properly.
Your question about running a 32-bit system freaked me out: I am running the very latest MacBookPro 17", so i thought for sure that SL would just run in 64-bit right off the bat.. However, for some insane reason, my system was running in 32-bit. I have changed the proper .plist file, so that now my system boots in 64-bit kernel mode every time.
However, unfortunately, this has had no impact whatsoever on FP. Even though i re-trashed both preference files, and then proceeded to an insanely long process of turning features on/off, and restarting every time a change was made...

If i may.. i am only a web db developer / sysadmin, but i can offer this: if it's a problem with your code, other oddities related to it will eventually show up; if it's a problem with my system, i'll eventually realize what it was due to some other failure.

in short:it seems like everyone else here running Snow Leopard is doing just fine, so we must conclude the issue is on my end.
What's more, in no way does it diminish my enthusiasm for FinderPop!! Please know that! You have produced a great piece of software: no need, at this point at least, getting hung up on small individual issues.

You are doing a great job, and so many of us benefit from it!
Thank you again,
Peter
petersphilo

Postby turly » 01 Feb 2010, 21:52

It might be worth opening Console.app and then control-clicking something in the Finder.
When things go wrong or are not quite what it expects, FinderPop will print out an error message there.
You can email the Console.app output if it's too big - turly@finderpop.com - and I'll have a look.

If you're up for it, I will try to get you a debug version of FinderPop next weekend - let's see if we can figure out what's really going on here - and thanks for your patience!
turly
Site Admin

Postby petersphilo » 18 Feb 2010, 15:48

Hi Turly,

I finally got it!
It turns out that the file called .GlobalPreferences.plist (located in ~/Library/Preferences) was corrupted somehow...

I actually removed it while re-installing everything because my HD died (bad blocks).

What exactly was wrong with that file, i could not tell you, but that was clearly the culprit.

In any case, thank you so very much for your instantaneous support!
Be Well,
Peter
petersphilo

Postby turly » 18 Feb 2010, 20:38

Well, that's good news!
Mind you I haven't a clue what the GlobalPreferences.plist file is. If your disk had bad blocks, who knows what might have happened.

BTW, and you probably already noticed this, version 2.2.4b7 has been superceded - see 2.2.4b8 beta for the latest-n-greatest FinderPop...
turly
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Version Announcements